As noted earlier in the academic year:
- You are required to have an IU Email Account
- You are required to check your IU Email Account regularly.
- An IU Exchange Email Account is required if you are a TA or AI. It’s probably best just to go ahead and establish your Exchange account. Once you have established an IU Exchange Account (see note below), it will be used as the primary account for official correspondence and must be checked regularly.
You are required to use your IU email address. The department and University use your IU email address as the official form of communication. You must have an address and check the account regularly. “The university reserves the right to send official communications to students by e-mail with the full expectation students will receive and read these messages in a timely fashion.” http://enrollmentbulletin.indiana.edu/pages/email.php
You must have an Exchange account (as a TA, RA, AI)*. Why? It is the secured account. The majority of you are on some type of appointment with the University and at some stage in your academic career here will deal with student information (i.e., working as a research assistant with test subjects, assisting in a classroom, teaching P211). This requires an Exchange account. From the Vice Provost for Faculty and Academic Affairs: “All SAAs are required to establish an e-mail account via Exchange for work-related communications. Sensitive information should never be communicated via IU mail.” (SAAs are “Student Academic Appointees). *If you aren’t working with students at this time, it’s best to get the Exchange account and get established in using it so that you are prepared for when you do work with students.
You can have your IU email forwarded to the account of your choice (such as Google). However, because of security issues, correspondence related to students should only go through Exchange.
- Exchange Email Instructions: https://kb.iu.edu/d/agxv
- Email Communications: http://enrollmentbulletin.indiana.edu/pages/email.php
- Handbook for Student Academic Appointees: https://www.indiana.edu/~vpfaa/saahandbook/index.php/Main_Page